PDA

View Full Version : Minestrone train wreck

screamingflea
3-10-11, 1:39am
I'm very proud of my "this produce ain't getting any fresher" recipe. I toss a whole bunch of stuff in the slow cooker, add a generous splash of red wine and soy sauce, and ... wow!! But not this time.

I think I used too much tomato sauce, and I left it in the crockpot long enough that it actually burned. I tried some today and it was just inedible. Usually I'm willing to eat my mistakes, but this one is beyond my capacity.

I'm thinking about a last-ditch effort to squeeze some use out of it, like maybe as a base for a Shepherd's pie, but I suspect it would poison whatever it touches. There's the guilt factor of wasting food, and the legitimate frustration of having wasted scarce food money. Sigh ... I hate decisions like this.

redfox
3-10-11, 3:59am
Ugh. I get it. Well, ya can't be good at everything. It's a pot of humility... and compost, sounds like.

IshbelRobertson
3-10-11, 5:08am
Throw it out!

Anything that has been burned, even slightly, seems to taint anything you add to it or anything you add it to...!

creaker
3-10-11, 6:47am
Sometimes I can salvage something that started burning by pouring out the contents without scraping the stuff on the bottom. But once that flavor gets into the liquid, it's trash.