PDA

View Full Version : First iris of the season: March 6

iris lily
3-10-11, 8:56am
The first iris of spring burst into bloom 3 days ago.

The group is the tiny sweet iris reticulata and looks like this:

http://tinyurl.com/5tuzfay

I don't have much experience with this iris. My iris expert friends say that they don't last, they peter out, so we shall see how they do over the years.

What's in new bloom in your neck of the woods?ANyone in the midwest have forsythia in bloom yet?

CathyA
3-10-11, 9:57am
Do you have this iris? I can't imagine anything blooming in Chicago yet.

Nothing is in bloom here. Its still pretty much winter. Although I am seeing little greens coming out of my miniature iris. I don't even know what their name is. They are light blue and only grow to about 1'. My others are around my little lotus bog, and they probably won't bloom until May at the earliest. I have mostly japanese and siberian. I have pink lady, temper tantrum, velvet ruffle and ceasar's brother. Oh....and pink haze. Can't wait.

iris lily
3-10-11, 10:07am
Do you have this iris? I can't imagine anything blooming in Chicago yet.

Nothing is in bloom here. Its still pretty much winter. Although I am seeing little greens coming out of my miniature iris. I don't even know what their name is. They are light blue and only grow to about 1'. My others are around my little lotus bog, and they probably won't bloom until May at the earliest. I have mostly japanese and siberian. I have pink lady, temper tantrum, velvet ruffle and ceasar's brother. Oh....and pink haze. Can't wait.

YEs, I've got it in bloom right now, but I'm in St. Louis and I think in a pretty close Garden Zone to you. Oh oh oh Japanese iris, they are the most gorgeou ones ever, I have not wet place for them to grow *sob* and so have none. The Siberians are nice' though mine have died out, I need to get some more. Caers brother is the workhorse SI.

CathyA
3-10-11, 12:02pm
Oh....I really thought you were in Chicago. We vacationed in St. Louis when the kids were little. We loved their botanical gardens. Funny story........DS was always into things he shouldn't be. We were walking through their oriental area, where they have a section of that raked sand. We looked back, and there was DS rearranging the design in the sand. haha
Actually, my japanese iris aren't in a wet area and do fine....although I do try to water them regularly.
I have a small water garden and put several Louisiana iris in there. Boy, they grow really fast!
I'm in zone 5. St. Louis is really hot! I think the whole week we were there it was 95-96, but this was in August. I think its known for its hot sticky summers.

treehugger
3-10-11, 12:08pm
Beautiful flowers!

Daffodils are in bloom here (SF Bay Area) and lots of flowering trees (pear, cherry, plum). Our apricot tree is just starting to flower and our rosemary hasn't stopped all winter.

leslieann
3-10-11, 2:14pm
Jealous, jealous....it is still seriously frozen here and will continue to be for some time. But spring will, of course, arrive......thanks for the photo and the hope.

Lainey
3-10-11, 7:42pm
I'm blown away by the richness of the blue color. Thanks for posting.

Stella
3-10-11, 11:04pm
Iris I hestiated before clicking on this thread hoping it wouldn't depress me. As I'm sure you know, nothing but nothing is blooming here in Minnesota at the moment, but it was nice to hear that it is getting to be spring somewhere. It does give one hope. And the flower you are talking about is very pretty. It was nice to look at it and daydream.

iris lily
3-11-11, 12:35am
Iris I hestiated before clicking on this thread hoping it wouldn't depress me. As I'm sure you know, nothing but nothing is blooming here in Minnesota at the moment, but it was nice to hear that it is getting to be spring somewhere. It does give one hope. And the flower you are talking about is very pretty. It was nice to look at it and daydream.

You guys have the most gorgeous, magnificent evergreen trees!

There is a blue spruce in our commmunity garden that's one of the few around and I always think it is pretty until I go up north. It is stunted and it struggles, compared to those by you. Blue Spruce like the cold.

Stella
3-11-11, 9:02pm
You guys have the most gorgeous, magnificent evergreen trees!

There is a blue spruce in our commmunity garden that's one of the few around and I always think it is pretty until I go up north. It is stunted and it struggles, compared to those by you. Blue Spruce like the cold.

OK, I'll give you that. The trees here are beautiful. Thanks for putting a positive spin on the cold winter Iris!