PDA

View Full Version : Velveeta shortage?

razz
1-8-14, 10:52am
I found this hilarious to read. It is so processed and a declared non-perishable that I wonder if any nutrition is left in it.
I did try Velveeta once and found it unpalatable. Around my neck of the woods, it is the same price and often pricier than regular cheddar cheese so why anyone buys it is a mystery to me.
What is the mysterious attraction of Velveeta?

catherine
1-8-14, 11:00am
Yes, pretty funny. Diane Sawyer was reporting on it last night with regard to the shortage right before the SuperBowl. Apparently one football fanatic said something like, what with the polar vortex and now the Velveeta Shortage, could this be the End Times?

Spartana
1-8-14, 11:25am
First they take my Twinkies, now they take my Velvetta. It's a government conspiracy I tell ya :-)!

CathyA
1-8-14, 12:00pm
Is Spam sold out too?????? :laff:

KayLR
1-8-14, 12:19pm
I read this in the paper this morning---there was no reason given for the shortage, and no one had really complained they haven't been able to find Velveeta....so I'm wondering whether it's just a scam. Everyone will rush out to buy Velveeta (in a Twinkie shortage-like panic) while they can!!!

Tradd
1-8-14, 1:03pm
Oh, the humanity!

Float On
1-8-14, 2:36pm
I saw that yesterday and then went to the grocery store last night where they'd moved all the Velveeta to a front and center display blocking the expensive cheese cooler. I bet they had a good time laughing while moving all those boxes of Velveeta - no shortage here yet. I bought it once in college for a dip for a party....never made that dip again.

Miss Cellane
1-8-14, 3:25pm
I can see the problem for the Super Bowl--lots of people use Velveeta for melted cheese dips and nachos and things. And it does have a bland, smooth flavor that lots of kids like.

We used to have Velveeta when I was a kid and I liked it. Then I discovered real cheese and there was no going back.

Blackdog Lin
1-8-14, 8:03pm
I'm thinking that it's a great marketing ploy to drive up demand. Add in the free publicity.....and voila!

I much prefer real cheese - and many of my old recipes that call for Velveeta I've learned to adapt them to shredded cheddar or such - but there are some cheese dip recipes that really, nothing else will do. :) Luckily, cheese dip just isn't something we have very often.

jp1
1-8-14, 9:25pm
I don't know that I've ever actually had velveeta. Although my mom was a huge fan of packaged foods, she apparently felt that the big block of Kraft American cheese was better, because that's what we always had. We even had a tuperware container designed specifically for it! Personally I'm generally of the opinion that the more flavor there is the better, pretty much across the board, so I don't really think that velveeta would especially appeal to me.

Gregg
1-8-14, 10:07pm
Word is the polar vortex sucked it all up.

Spartana
1-9-14, 1:54am
Word is the polar vortex sucked it all up.Of course since Velvetta probably doesn't freeze with all those additives, it will eventually rain down upon our heads once the sub freezing temps of the polar vortex ends. Personally I hate Velvetta as an adult but have fond memories of it as a kid on grilled cheese (er..sort of cheese :-)) sandwiches.

Tiam
1-9-14, 11:07pm
I don't know that I've ever actually had velveeta. Although my mom was a huge fan of packaged foods, she apparently felt that the big block of Kraft American cheese was better, because that's what we always had. We even had a tuperware container designed specifically for it! Personally I'm generally of the opinion that the more flavor there is the better, pretty much across the board, so I don't really think that velveeta would especially appeal to me.

Isn't American cheese pretty processed? I thought it was.

jp1
1-10-14, 9:00am
Yeah, American cheese is totally processed, but if I remember correctly it at least had a normal hard cheese-like texture similar to cheddar. At this point it's been decades since I've had any.

CathyA
1-10-14, 9:12am
Word is the polar vortex sucked it all up.

What goes around, comes around. hahahaha
Have you ever read "Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs"? Now it will be "Cloudy with a chance of Velveeta". :~)