PDA

View Full Version : simple spirituality & religion

nithig
3-12-11, 2:43pm
Can simple spirituality and religion co-exist?

The latter comprises dogma, history, sacred texts, hierarchies, beliefs, property, worldly power ....

The former arises from within when one is quiet and still.
In this quietness & stillness there is no knowing other than 'I am",
there is no power, no beliefs, no texts, no history only the everliving present ....

So can these two ways of being co-exist?

bae
3-12-11, 2:51pm
I suppose if you construct questions using loaded premises, you can get the answers you want.

Not so conducive to conversation, though.

nithig
3-12-11, 3:04pm
loaded premises
are you suggesting they are incorrect/inaccurate?

in what way are they 'loaded'?

did Christ go about seeking conversation or did he say it without concern for the reaction of others?

Xmac
3-12-11, 5:53pm
Well, they do co-exist, both in individuals and collectively. I guess you mean can they co-exist in peace?
If one regards dogma, power and history as bad, and disbelief, no power and the everliving present as good, then I would say they probably can't co-exist in peace (B.T.W. I'm not suggesting you were). If one regarded dogma as good and disbelief as bad, my answer would be the same.

Incidentally, even though I know you were probably referring to worldly or outer power, I just wanted to point out that I regard simple spirituality as fostering inner power, not powerlessness.

nithig
3-12-11, 9:54pm
can they co-exist in peace?
yes, that is a fair qualification to add to the question. Perhaps 'balance' might do equally
for it seems that there might tend to be a greater yielding on one side than the other.

simple spirituality as fostering inner power, not powerlessness.
Again a very accurate refinement of the question.

thank you Xmac