PDA

View Full Version : reasons to be grateful

Blackdog Lin
2-12-14, 8:41pm
I get so caught up in my doomer/prepper mentality.....that this reminder really jumped out at me, as to how fortunate we really are to be living right now at this point in history. In some way it even validates/reinforces my Simple Living philosophy. Hope y'all enjoy it as much as I did.....

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/29/50-reasons-were-living-through-the-greatest-period.aspx

Gardenarian
2-13-14, 12:21am
I'm the 1%? Who knew?
Fascinating reading! Thanks.

Rogar
2-13-14, 9:19am
I really don't think I would want to live in another place or time, unless I could have some magical powers to change a few things. But I also think we should take a step back from our nationalistic pride to look at things realistically. We really are the greatest country on the face of the planet in some measures but fall short in others.

Medical advances are indeed a blessing, but we are not the healthiest county in the world, and may only rank 11th worldwide.
http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/07/health-world-countries-forbeslife-cx_avd_0408health.html

According to one survey that seemed fairly legitimate, we only rank 17th on the happiness scale.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09/world-happiness-report-happiest-countries_n_3894041.html

And on a prosperity index that combines growth, wealth, and quality of life, we aren't even in the top 20.
http://www.prosperity.com/#!/

And that's not to mention the damage to the environment that results from unbridled prosperity.

happystuff
2-15-14, 10:25am
Hmmm.... I'll admit that I got bored with reading the list as it seemed to pertain to more materialistic facts than any real link to needing to be grateful. When I think of being grateful, my list is filled with people and experiences, not so much how much better off I may be when compared to others - especially with regard to money or things. I got the impression that the author was saying that gratitude and happiness is linked to wealth and materialism and I just don't agree with that. i.e. we live longer, have better health, have more money and things, yet we aren't happy. Well, gee... maybe happiness isn't or shouldn't be so dependent on health, wealth, and materialism as we think it should!? Maybe the best time to be alive is when you are actually living - not just existing. Just thinking....

catherine
2-15-14, 10:55am
Maybe the best time to be alive is when you are actually living - not just existing.

+1000

redfox
2-15-14, 1:10pm
Happystuff, my gratitude tends towards people as well. And, I can be present in these relationships because I have access to incredible medical treatments, decent food & housing, and so forth. My material world is very comfortable, which gives me the luxury of deep and meaningful relationships. I doubt I'd have time to nurture these in a hardscrabble existence.

happystuff
2-16-14, 8:01am
Happystuff, my gratitude tends towards people as well. And, I can be present in these relationships because I have access to incredible medical treatments, decent food & housing, and so forth. My material world is very comfortable, which gives me the luxury of deep and meaningful relationships. I doubt I'd have time to nurture these in a hardscrabble existence.

I guess we just have different perspectives. I am still learning and trying not to make my personal relationships dependent on my material comforts or discomforts. If my health gets worse, I hope I am still able to maintain and nuture my relationships and find my gratitude and happiness. I don't want my gratitude and happiness to be dependent on health or wealth, but rather I hope to be happy and grateful despite any physical limitations, material gains or losses, etc. Sorry if I'm not explaining this well. Sometimes its hard to find the right words for the more personal stuff. :)

catherine
2-16-14, 8:05am
I hear you, happystuff. I think you're a Buddhist at heart: what you said reminds me of this little zen poem written by Nyogen Sunsaki in 1946 after his release from a Japanese internment camp:

Like a snail, I carry my humble zendō with me.
It is not as small as it looks
For the boundless sky joins it
When I open a window.
If one has no idea of limitation,
He should enjoy real freedom.
A nameless monk may not have the New Year callers to visit him,
But the morning sun hangs above the slums.
It will be honorable enough to receive the golden light from the east.

happystuff
2-16-14, 10:47am
I hear you, happystuff. I think you're a Buddhist at heart: what you said reminds me of this little zen poem written by Nyogen Sunsaki in 1946 after his release from a Japanese internment camp:

Actually, it's taken me a long time and a lot of study to realize that I am pretty sure I am a Buddhist at heart also! Just yesterday I learned of a Tibetan Buddhist Learning Center within traveling distance to my home AND that they offer services and teachings on the first Sunday of every month! I have lived in this area for more than 2 decades and I am surprised at myself that it has taken me this long to make this discovery, but then I know that I am learning about it exactly when I need to. I'm happily awaiting the first Sunday in March!

Also, thanks for the poem! Definitely saving it. :)