PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a rolling work seat?

CathyA
3-13-11, 8:51pm
I've seen these at Harbor Freight and they look interesting, for working in the back yard with my flowers. But I'm also seeing that Northern Tool offers a similar one with front wheels that can turn.
The little plastic one that some places have wouldn't do. I need the 10' pneumatic tires. Wish the bigger ones I mentioned came with an electric motor and a steering wheel. haha
I want to work out in the yard so bad, and have so many flowers and a couple water gardens, but its just getting too hard on my knees to be standing and walking all the time.
Anyone have one of these and did you like it?
Dang, I can't get the links to show you them. Hopefully you know what I'm talking about.

Gina
3-17-11, 12:18am
I picked up one in someone's trash heap. It's very sturdy but has flat tires. I've used it as something to sit on when picking blueberries. With flat tires, I can't 'roll' while sitting on it but have to stand to move it. Not sure how easy it would be to move while sitting when tires are inflated. The seat is very comfortable and does swivel. It's perfect for picking the berries, but a small stool also works well. You would still have to bend at the waist to be able to work the soil with your hands.

This is the one I have, except mine is red and the paint is peeling. And there is rust in places. The one in the picture shows the front wheels turning - I dont' think mine do - perhaps they are frozen and is the reason it was in the trash. ;)

edit: I live on a steep hill and don't want inflated tires that might make the thing roll too fast - I use it on the cement driveway next to the berry plants and can just see myself on a run-away garden cart dodging cars..... YeeHaaaaaaa!

http://www.abledata.com/product_images/images/06A0694.jpg

earthshepherd
3-17-11, 6:32am
I have a low step stool I use for low gardening tasks. The top is comfortable enough to sit on. I wouldn't mind having a rolling seat. The photo looks great!

CathyA
3-17-11, 8:44am
Thanks Gina and Ellen,
I wish I could try one first. The green ones at Harbor Freight don't have front wheels that turn, but the red ones from some other places do. Its my knees that are so bad, and I'm thinking I would stress them, just trying to push the cart along in a sitting position. It would be in my yard, so I'm sure it wouldn't be easy.
What I was thinking about getting was one of those "hoppity balls" with a handle. I have one of those exercise balls and they're great to sit on and lean forward and backwards without much effort. I wasn't sure how they'd hold up on bare ground though.
I love my golf cart for longer distances on the property, but its just too big for the back yard. Its the walking around that's so hard on me.
Wish they made an electric stool on wheels. haha
Actually, what would help alot is if the ground were higher up. But I don't think that's going to happen. :)