Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Article: Our stuff burying us alive: The mountains of garbage we call "collections"

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My MIL worried out loud to me once, saying "What's going to happen to my Royal Doultons when I'm gone?" She knew I was not interested in them in the least. She also had a collection of Hummels and Edinburgh crystal.
    Funny, my Mom's just the opposite, she's constantly downsizing things Pickers would go crazy over because she doesn't find them as valuable as other people do and therefore, in her world, they aren't. Sold their house for 2/3 market value, because "that's what it was worth" (???) Set a collection of vinyl worth probably $20,000 on the curb. (Dad's.) Gave the Salvation Army a set of almost new furniture, a Hummel collection and a 20*16 authentic oriental rug because she never liked the pattern. (Gifts from her MIL.) It's especially irksome because she grew up poor and she's always hounding me to save money, save save save, but she doesn't seem to see that some Stuff is money whether it agrees with your personal taste or not. I've finally decided she can do what she wants with her stuff even though it bleeds money out of the family estate, but I have the right to do what I like with whatever comes into my possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Paul Henning, the producer, had ties to Branson. They filmed several episodes at Silver Dollar City. And I can visit the Beverly Hillbillies truck just 4 miles from my house at the museum at CofO campus. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/14355

I remember seeing that as a kid. If it were up here, with all the oddball connections I have to the family, I would be able to take a closer look at it.
    Been off the sight a few days. Bunch of work, and trying to work a deal on a house, so I wouldn't have to buy it through a tax sale next year. Unfortunately the legal owner, has his head in the sand and doesn't want to lift it out and face reality.

Thread Information