Thread: Article: 'Digital Hoarding': A New Disorder?

Article: 'Digital Hoarding': A New Disorder?

It sounds as though the maintenance and sorting of digital images etc. Is more of a problem than the actual collecting. It seems to me a kind of screen addiction, which is all too common.

I use Pinterest a bit, and there are people with hundreds of thousands of pins; they must be at the computer all day. A lot people seem to want tons of followers, whether in Facebook, Pinterest , Tumble, Instagram, et all. I don't quite get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Pinterest , Tumble, Instagram, et all. I don't quite get that.
    I call it Pinstagramblr.

I'm not sure why they're singling out a particular form of hoarding. But then I see digital devices as enablers of human activity, good or bad. If this guy took the pictures with a film camera, printed them out in his own darkroom, and papered the walls of house with them, the powers that be wouldn't be tripping over themselves to add a diagnosis to DSM.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

To me, the fact of his obsession with chronicling the minutia of his life (on' film', in this case) is the disorder. I'm guessing not about hoarding, but about a need to tether himself to his own reality and possibly his own worth. This is mine, this is what i saw, this is what i did, what I read, who I met, what I thought, what I bought. The fact that he spends hours cataloging it is just good maintenance.

Everything is a disorder according to someone. The trick is not to give a damn what anyone thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Everything is a disorder according to someone. The trick is not to give a damn what anyone thinks.
    +1

Digital hoarding on a single human scale is hard to get up in arms about unless that person shares my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Meh, I'm in a mood and I don't know him. Psychotic, I say.

Thread Information