Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Non-religious charity options

I donate mostly to/with a donor-advised fund with my local community foundation.

Each year they give me a scored-and-vetted list of worthy local projects, and I pick the ones that appeal to me to disburse my funds to.

Makes things so simple and easy.

okay---i donate to the save-the-packards foundation, since it's a VERY worthy cause. but yeah---i'm sick of all those other "legitimate" charities where the Director rakes in $950,000 per year and has all his family on the board, and things never change. yup.

We don't have much to spare for charitable contributions, and we avoid religious donations, unless requested in lieu of flowers at a funeral or memorial. And not even that, if supporting a cause the deceased supported is in conflict with our values. We donate to NPR, PBS, a local animal shelter, local flight museum, and the occasional go-fund-me or emergency type of appeal. We also support by membership a local shaker museum, farm/environmental park museum, large local historical museum, local flight museum, and an author/illustrator house museum. When we visit a park or historical museum, we always put something in the donation box. As I said, we don't have much to give, and we want to be sure we're supporting things that are important to us.

Thread Information