Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe looking for a new job

Maybe looking for a new job

I make nice money at current job, much more than the average, but there’s a bunch of BS. I talked to the recruiter I got current job through and she has a job she thinks I would be a good fit for, but I would have to take a $15K-$20K cut and insurance is pricey. So we will see. Current job is golden handcuffs.

Unfortunately, I have come to believe that there is BS in pretty much every job. You would think there wouldn't be much BS in a night custodian's job, but there is. BS, frustrations, lack of communication, etc. I guess it depends on how much someone can put up with before it is too much. Personally - as I plan this to be my LAST "must work" job - I just keep thinking of the paycheck. "This place is full of BS, but my bank accounts are full of your money!"

Good luck with your decision.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Happy, yes, the paying down debt and stuffing savings is uppermost on my mind, given my age (55). It’s just a matter of how much BS.

Happy gave voice to what I was thinking. You could find yourself enduring new, different BS, but BS nevertheless, for lower pay.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Happy gave voice to what I was thinking. You could find yourself enduring new, different BS, but BS nevertheless, for lower pay.
    Good point. Do you have any feel for how long you want to/need to work before you retire? Could you focus on investing that "extra" 15000-20000, pretending you took the lower job and were living on that lower amount, and factor that into your retirement plans?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Good point. Do you have any feel for how long you want to/need to work before you retire? Could you focus on investing that "extra" 15000-20000, pretending you took the lower job and were living on that lower amount, and factor that into your retirement plans?
    I’m 55. I plan on working until 70 or longer as long as my health holds out. People here think I’m nuts but I’m single. I’d be bored at home. Yes, I am using the extra to stuff 401K and savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I’m 55. I plan on working until 70 or longer as long as my health holds out. People here think I’m nuts but I’m single. I’d be bored at home. Yes, I am using the extra to stuff 401K and savings.
    I don't think you are nuts at all. I still work part-time and I'm 68 and my health is not holding out, and I'd much rather have work so I don't have to think about not feeling well all the time! My husband was swearing he was going to quit at 70 and I think he's pushed it out to 75, since he really enjoys what he does and he works at home, so lots of the negatives are not present.

My partner quit their job for that much pay cut AND longer commute. Sounds wonderful huh? But the prior job atmosphere was dysfunctional and abusive, everyone lying to everyone and showing contempt for everyone, mentally ill people in charge etc., and the job unstable, they kept trying to sell the company out from under him.

Now he suddenly reports better health markers for no changes other than the job. So yea all jobs may suck, but I don't really believe they are all the same, noone who has worked in both relatively functional and in dysfunctional workplaces would say they are all the same.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    My partner quit their job for that much pay cut AND longer commute. Sounds wonderful huh? But the prior job atmosphere was dysfunctional and abusive, everyone lying to everyone and showing contempt for everyone, mentally ill people in charge etc., and the job unstable, they kept trying to sell the company out from under him.

Now he suddenly reports better health markers for no changes other than the job. So yea all jobs may suck, but I don't really believe they are all the same, noone who has worked in both relatively functional and in dysfunctional workplaces would say they are all the same.
    You make a good point. Not all bullshit is equal.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post

Oh, I know not all BS is equal. The BS I had at the 13.5 year job I was laid off from in 2020 was extremely toxic. Then the next job (the WFH one) had a crappy boss and a crappy system. The saving grace about current job is that the cruddy owner travels maybe 1/3 of the year. Still contactable, but not in the office.

Thread Information