Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: get new computers or ???

One of our true frugals is that we've never owned a printer. I still go to the library anytime I need to print something. I realize my proximity to the library is a big part of what makes this work, so it wouldn't be feasible for everyone. It also makes me a lot less like to print stuff unnecessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    One of our true frugals is that we've never owned a printer. I still go to the library anytime I need to print something. I realize my proximity to the library is a big part of what makes this work, so it wouldn't be feasible for everyone. It also makes me a lot less like to print stuff unnecessarily.

There are lots of people now, that could truly go without printers. I myself once Steve died, found Costco selling a laser printer they still sell, for more money, on sale for $99 and bought it for dealing with estate and business purposes. Last year I found my all in one laser for around half price on Ebay (really need scanning functions and on occasion color functions when the libraries are not open, for business). If I didn't own a business, or work these crazy hours, I don't think I would really need it. As is, idiot coowner can't keep anything that is legally required (like paperwork from his brothers estate he needs again now), so I have to pretty much scan everything in and eventually repeat.
    This is stuff I didn't have, so he can go back to the lawyer from four years ago and pay for it again. Idiot.

Actually, I discovered that if I download an apple program, I may be able to update my printer to be compatible. I wouldn't bother with a printer either but one of my projects is to put together an estate notebook and another for various investment info. I prefer hard copies for things like that.

We have a printer because I am on 7 different boards for organizations and I always seem to be printing something for that work.

We donot buy color cartridges.

I take advantage of the city library’s program to grant 50 free black-and-white copies per month and when I combine that with DH’s library card we get 100 free copies per month. But that has to be for things I can predict in advance, like flower show schedules.

I don’t have a printer anymore. Wasn’t using it so gave it away. I don’t need to print.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I'm going to have to remember this thread as I have a little netbook that I LOVE, but that is so old. Maybe I'll try installing Linux Mint on it as a retirement project.
    As I just posted up in Raves - I am now using this netbook as primary internet access, as my laptop went Kaput! Hoping it can be fixed. Glad this one is still running - albeit very slowly. LOL

If the old one can't be fixed, I will probably be getting a new laptop!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Now I have to decide how to spend the $100 Apple gift card that I got for buying the Mac Mini. Nothing I really want or need at their store.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Now I have to decide how to spend the $100 Apple gift card that I got for buying the Mac Mini. Nothing I really want or need at their store.
    Hah! If you don’t want it, maybe gift it as a give to someone you know who is into Apple stuff. Heck, I’d take it!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have the best tech set up I have ever had. I cross my fingers every day that nothing goes kerplunk because that’s a whole chain of problems with the entire system.
    Well, my words above jinxed it.

our wifi crashes dailey. Probably equipment malfunction but wifi provider not giving new equipment—yet. Spending hours in contact with them. Ugh.

I have an HP laserprinter that's at least 16 years old since I bought it when we lived in NJ. I think I'm on the third toner cartridge because I print maybe 5-10 pages per month max. It still works great though so as long as it keeps doing it's thing I'll hold on to it. I probably won't bother replacing it when it dies though. Like rosa our library offers free b/w prints and color prints for 50 cents. And 90% of what I print is for work, so my printing needs will drop significantly once I retire.

Thread Information