Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss drugs?

I walk about two miles a day, climb a lot of stairs daily and spend a lot of time in the garden. I stress a whole lot about where to live. I know that our emotions heavily affect our health.

I modified my diet a year ago April due to my then new diagnosis of pre-diabetes to take the carbs out of breakfast and lunch, adding in more protein and fat to make up the calories. I feel better, have lost weight (wasn’t really overweight but I’m now back to my college weight of 15 lbs lighter). And I’m taking the lowest possible dose of metformin. This past April my annual blood work up had improved. A1c and foot the first time in years, normal lipids across the board. I’d worried that the extra fat in my diet would cause the lipids to move in the opposite direction.

Regarding the use of diabetes drugs for weight loss I have mixed opinions. I’m glad it works for that for some people. But on the flip side SO was not able to get monjaro, which he is prescribed for full blown diabetes, for four months due to lack of availability.

Back to my pre-diabetes situation Dexcom was recently approved to sell continuous glucose monitors over the counter. I’ve ordered one with a month of sensors because I’m curious how various foods affect my glucose levels. I don’t plan to do it for more than a month but that should give me enough insight into what, if anything, makes my blood sugar spike so that I will know what I can enjoy and what I need to avoid. My sister, who is also pre-diabetic, recently did the same thing but by doing a thousand finger sticks and found that her blood sugar never spikes, it just never gets down below 100.

An interesting article for those so inclined.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/16/o...f-disease.html

"It’s easy to attribute this to the dramatic weight loss provided by Ozempic and other drugs in its class, known as GLP-1 receptor agonists. But that isn’t the whole story. Rather, the drugs’ numerous benefits are pointing to an emerging cause of so much human disease: inflammation."

"what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Inflammation might be why statins work too.
    Trees don't grow on money

I had my annual physical recently and mostly out of curiosity asked a few questions about GLI-1. His story was that the popular injections cost $500-1000 dollars a month and insurance companies are reluctant to cover the cost. He said in some foreign countries the cost is a fraction of that for some reason. And he wasn't too sure if the injections would have to continue forever. He said he had a dozen or so patients who were paying out of pocket without insurance help to get the injections. I didn't ask about Medicare.

He thought the reduction in coronary events was mostly due to the weight loss rather than some other unexplained interaction, but didn't think anyone really knows for sure, so far.

The internet probably has loads of information to page through, but the real life perspective was interesting. Doctor is a pretty down to earth traditionalist when it comes to medications. It seems like there are a lot of unknowns. I guess the drug companies have found a way to pay for their endless Ozempic TV commercials.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I tried a month of it. It made me so ill I could not continue. This was after trying Metformin, which also made me ill. Insurance would not pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I tried a month of it. It made me so ill I could not continue. This was after trying Metformin, which also made me ill. Insurance would not pay for it.
    Yikes, that is unfortunate. What were your symptoms of it making you sick? I suppose that in itself would be a weight loss control because if you’re sick, you can’t eat, but that’s not exactly what we’re going for.

how much was it costing and how did you take it, pill or shot?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yikes, that is unfortunate. What were your symptoms of it making you sick? I suppose that in itself would be a weight loss control because if you’re sick, you can’t eat, but that’s not exactly what we’re going for.

how much was it costing and how did you take it, pill or shot?
    The way she prescribed it, it was a shot but it was going to last about 3 months and it cost 1000 dollars. Symptoms were feeling like I was walking on a rolling ship, nausea, tremendous fatigue, and headache. I could not stay upright on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    The way she prescribed it, it was a shot but it was going to last about 3 months and it cost 1000 dollars. Symptoms were feeling like I was walking on a rolling ship, nausea, tremendous fatigue, and headache. I could not stay upright on it.
    Oh that is miserable. Being seasick for 3 months, awful!

Yikes. That sounds terrible. I was concerned when doc prescribed metformin since I’d heard a lot of people have terrible side effects. Thankfully I have none.

An aside, I mentioned before (at least I think I did) that I had purchased one of those continuous glucose monitors now that you can buy them over the counter. It’s been fascinating and informative. I’ll put together my thoughts and start a new thread. Very short version, I’d recommend anyone in the pre-diabetes stage of the disease get one for just a month. They’re only $99 for the month and the insights as to what will lower your glucose are incredible.

Thread Information