Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East coast/gulf dockworkers may strike 10/1

East coast/gulf dockworkers may strike 10/1

What I don't get is that the west coast union strikes every 5-6 years but the east coast/gulf union hasn't gone out since 1977!

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/un...st-dock-strike

Does no one care about the port strike?

It hasn't gotten much media coverage, except for the current shortage of toilet paper which is a panic-driven response, and not based on reality, apparently, because TP is generally manufactured in the US. It cracks me up that when we have a situation like this the first thing people think of is TP.

So, I guess from my perspective, no one has told me exactly how I will be impacted. It feels like it could be like other strikes that come to a settlement quickly. Maybe not, and then, like most people, when I go to the store and something I want isn't there, then I'll start caring. Just human nature. People are freaking out about TP becuase COVID was only 4 years ago when shortages were real. But if the last dockworker strike was 1977, very few people will have any reference point for how it will impact their lives.

So, what do you think the impact will be Tradd? You're the best person to educate the rest of us, for sure.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If you use OTC meds, especially generics, look on the package to see where they’re made. I bet it’s India. It would be wise, I think, to have a bit of extra on hand. Lots of India cargo goes to the east coast. I bought one extra of ibuprofen, allergy and acid reflux meds. I ordered from Amazon, as I usually do.

Good article on when shortages might kick in.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/il...week-the-bogey

And shortages of the weight loss drugs

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/10/01/port...-shutdown.html

The last strike in 1977 was just for the east/gulf coasts. The west coast has gone out 2-3 times in the last 20 years.

Thanks. That helps. I guess the Biden administration better facilitate a resolution before the election.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It's getting a lot more media attention now. The demands the dockworkers are striking for seem extremely generous to say the least. I don't know how accurate the report I heard was, but they were asking for wages while not working if their jobs were replaced by automation.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    It's getting a lot more media attention now. The demands the dockworkers are striking for seem extremely generous to say the least. I don't know how accurate the report I heard was, but they were asking for wages while not working if their jobs were replaced by automation.
    Guess you could compare them somewhat to the historical Luddites.

Look up the union prez. “I will cripple you” if the union didn’t get what he wanted. He’s essentially a NJ union thug with mob connections who makes $900K a year. Look up video on YT, especially the What’s Up with Shipping channel.

Well apparently the strike was resolved before I even got a chance to really worry about people panic-buying all the toilet paper again.

Current contract has been extended to Jan 15th. The pay issue is resolved but things like automation have not. They don’t want ANY automation.

There’s a reason US ports are not very productive.

Thread Information