Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: percentage of net worth in housing

Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    okay----I just sittin' here, wondering: If I was ta put in a cee-ment pond in back o' my hillbilly shackk, would it increase my "nett worth" or whatever? Just curious.
    Nope! Net worth is the difference between assets and liabilities, if you pay cash you're trading one asset for another and if you finance, you're increasing liabilities while also increasing assets, although the asset increase probably will not cancel out the liability increase. The best you can hope for is a draw.
    Hope that helped you some.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Nope! Net worth is the difference between assets and liabilities, if you pay cash you're trading one asset for another and if you finance, you're increasing liabilities while also increasing assets, although the asset increase probably will not cancel out the liability increase. The best you can hope for is a draw.
    Hope that helped you some.
    yeah, but what i was thinkin' was, was ta rent out a backhoe, dig the hole, and them use that pond cee-ment ta make 'er hold water, and just let the garden hose & water from the gutters replenish it. Hopin' the place might gain Val-U, when I go ta flip it. See? Meanwhile, Graaaa--nd kidz always enjoy playin' in water holes.

Depends on your local market.

In some areas, a swimming pool is viewed as a liability, or undesireable. And it may reduce the number of potential buyers for your property, which, depending on the local market, may drive your price down a bit.

In other areas, pools are a must-have.

Recently I saw a property I really liked though I’m not shopping for another property, but if shopping I would consider it. But it had an inground pool that took up most of the backyard.

so I wonder, how hard are these to fill-in? Do you just push lots of dirt into the hole and live with it that way?

No, faux---you gotts dig out the old pool, first. 'Cause if you just fill it in, you'll have a marsh, because it will still retain water. See? Didn't they teach you that in lirrrry school? Thankk mee.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    No, faux---you gotts dig out the old pool, first. 'Cause if you just fill it in, you'll have a marsh, because it will still retain water. See? Didn't they teach you that in lirrrry school? Thankk mee.
    Oh yeah, OK. So how much would that cost?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh yeah, OK. So how much would that cost?
    okay---tell you what---go ahead and leve the pool where it is. Then, put a concrete bock foundation around the perimeter of the old pool, and then put a room sitting on top of that. Then, you've got more space upstairs/downstairs to use, year round. See? Or else, make a greenhouse out of the old pool. Be a creative engineer. Hope that helps you some.

Thread Information