Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Committee member for historic house

I harken back to feeling teenaged angst when I look at the decorating choices of my parents 50 years ago. A time capsule. Ok, they weren’t awful, but they were not timeless classics either. Red flocked wallpaper. “Antiqued” green woodwork in one room with wall paneling the same color. Orange carpet.

It is all there in its glory.

It’s a great old house. I really love the woodwork. It needs a young family with good DIY skills.

I remember how happy I was when I returned to my great-aunt's cottage after 40 years and they had barely touched it. It was exactly the same as I remembered it. And then the next year they sold it, and the new owners razed it. Time marches on, and change is inevitable. Hopefully there will only be good changes in store for your childhood home.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Here is the house in its current state:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M70476-76720

things are not going well for it. A year and a half ago someone bought it to flip it. He did all kinds of necessary work such as plumbing, electrical, new roof, some HVAC work. He installed new bathrooms and kitchen. Then he slapped a price tag of $600,000+ on it. That’s pretty high because it has no garage because the previous owners who live there for 50 years let the old barn which was a double garage fall down. I’m very angry with those previous owners for that. And they never did any work on the house, it looked like a shambles for most of the 50 years they had it.

The flipper painted the entire interior Tiffany blue, an odd choice. The home Depot kitchen is cheap. He PAINTED OVER the wallpaper. That just seems… Unsustainable.

Not surprisingly, it did not sell.

so the flipper finally reduced the price to in the mid 500,000 and a real estate company bought it and now they want to change the zoning to commercial. The historical society and people who care are petitioning the city council not to rezone it, but it will probably go through. The real estate company is talking about ripping out doorways to make it ADA compliant, which would be tragic in the living room because that is unique cherry and Oak woodwork.

I hate these people, all of them.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-16-24 at 10:41pm.

I feel your pain, IL. I do not like that blue at all with the woodwork and the fact that they just slapped it up in every room. And they painted over some of the window moulding. The kitchen definitely looks cheap. So sorry.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I concur. Such a wonderful house.

Thread Information