Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: What are you reading in 2024?

"The Demon of Unrest" by Erik Larson. A historical account of the events leading up to succession and Civil War, woven around the story of Fort Sumter. I've read other books by Larson and he has a way of making history read a bit more like a novel than dry history without being too simplistic. The introduction compares the historical account of a divided nation to modern times, which seems like an overstatement, but some similarities were there.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    "The Demon of Unrest" by Erik Larson. A historical account of the events leading up to succession and Civil War, woven around the story of Fort Sumter. I've read other books by Larson and he has a way of making history read a bit more like a novel than dry history without being too simplistic. The introduction compares the historical account of a divided nation to modern times, which seems like an overstatement, but some similarities were there.
    I read this a few months back. Enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I really loved Isaac's Storm by Larson. I haven't read any of the others.

Thanks for your recommendations, IL.

I was on my first market research trip since COVID this week (to NYC and Detroit, and next week, Atlanta) and I gobbled up Lit by Mary Karr. I had heard her on Tim Ferriss's podcast and determined I had to get her book. She's written three memoirs which immediately pegged her in my mind as self-indulgent, but she is one great writer.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Go As a River by Shelley Read. A regional fiction based on the 1960s disappearance of a small town in western Colorado after a dam was built. It used to be home to many peach orchards and the trees were moved to higher ground. I imagine many small towns in the US once existed to be replaced by reservoirs and lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Go As a River by Shelley Read. A regional fiction based on the 1960s disappearance of a small town in western Colorado after a dam was built. It used to be home to many peach orchards and the trees were moved to higher ground. I imagine many small towns in the US once existed to be replaced by reservoirs and lakes.
    I'd like to read that book.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That one is on my list Pinkytoe. I've long been fascinated by the story of how the Quabbin Reservoir in MA was created, as it involved the flooding and eradication of the towns of Dana, Enfield, Greenfield, & Prescott. We've been to the Quabbin Visitor's Center in Belchertown, and they have a lot of historical info and I had bought a few NF books from them about the Quabbin. I had hoped to visit the Swift River Historical Society when we vacationed in nearby Hatfield last month, but we didn't make it during their very limited hours. Hopefully next time.

Former MA governor William F. Weld wrote a novel Stillwater, about the drowning of the Swift River Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm reading the serial killer next door by Emma Kenny. It's brilliant.
    okay---I'll hafta investigate that one. But yeah---which serial killer were they? Gettin' ta be lots of 'em, these days. yup.

okay---I know you kids say you read a lotta books, but have you read this one yet? (see photo).

Thread Information