Thread: Night Sky Events Lately

Night Sky Events Lately

This past week or two have had some pretty active night sky events. I believe it was at the beginning of the week, the Northern Lights were visible (although mostly via pictures on people's phones). We just had the beautiful Hunter Moon "Supermoon" peaked on the 17th and was absolutely beautiful! Actually, I think it still is! And the comet called C/2023 A3 Tsuchinshan-ATLAS was also in the area. I had been looking for the comet since it started its trip around the sun and was finally able to see it - with binoculars - on Wednesday evening. Thrilling - considering it won't be back for another 80,000 years or so. LOL.

And now the Orionid meteor shower will peak the 20th-21st. Research says - for my area, at least - to lay down with your feet facing SE and just look up. Guess what I'll be doing Sunday night? ROFLOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I will try and see the meteor shower, but no way am I lying down on the ground to do so! First, I'd get soaking wet; second, I'd have to get back up!

The moon was stupendous the other night! Love it when we can see it--we had clouds passing over it, but that just made it all the more beautiful in my eyes!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I will try and see the meteor shower, but no way am I lying down on the ground to do so! First, I'd get soaking wet; second, I'd have to get back up!

The moon was stupendous the other night! Love it when we can see it--we had clouds passing over it, but that just made it all the more beautiful in my eyes!
    oh that harvest moon was fabulous! And that happened to be Witcher’s night in Hermann where the witches gather in the evening to drink and party. It was a perfect night for it, and now I wonder if they planned it for harvest moon night.

I saw the harvest moon. Just gorgeous.

I watched the hunter's moon set from my living room while drinking coffee, which was nice. Meteor showers are unfortunately hard to see because of the city lights.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

The moon has been fabulous here the last couple nights! One of the perks of coming home in the dark. LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information