Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So how much have prices gone up?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

So how much have prices gone up?

What's your take? How much has the inflation rate been since covid? Rob

I am vague about any price increases. A year ago it seemed like grocery prices were higher, but then our new grocery store went in and they are lower. So I don’t know.

The one I really noticed was my dog’s eye medicine. Our dog who died four years ago needed the same medication and his was half the price as it is now.

Recent news says that the purchasing power of the average person is about the same as pre covid due to wage increases. My barber railed on high grocery prices without noting the 20% increase in her charges. My small fixed non-cola pension hasn't heard the news, but my retirement investments have.

Coffee is a staple that seems to be expensive. Some groceries seem to have gone down a bit or have better sales..
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I was at Home Depot yesterday and a pomegranate tree that would have been 19.99 pre covid was priced at 44.99. Crazy!!! Rob

I paid $11.00 for a big locally grown watermelon recently. That seemed like a lot. Also, those cheap business man type lunch deals at restaurants seems to have mostly gone away.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I was at Home Depot yesterday and a pomegranate tree that would have been 19.99 pre covid was priced at 44.99. Crazy!!! Rob
    I don’t know that horticultural items are a good indicator, tho. Crop failures, unseasonal effects on growth, etc…ya never know what effects there are.

I know that a couple years ago the weather was crappy for PNW growers of iris. They did not raise prices but they sent apologies with the orders about size of the rhizomes. That was funny to me because even their “undersized” plants were big compared to what I can grow.

Yes, that’s what I am reading, that wages have risen along with prices. I have no reason to argue with that.

okay----an anecdote about how prices have increased. so anyway---the Windy's Hamburger place had a sign that said: Forsty's 99 cents, so I thought okay; a Frosty for littlebittymee. Anyhow---I got in line in the driveup behind a cheap old compact car(like what I drive) and the driver ordered something that took awhile for "fast food". Well, I saw on the order board what his order was---and it was for two wendy-booger combo meals(or whatever--drink, burger, fries etc.), and guess what? The total price was a few cents shy of $24!!!!! My Frosty was in a 4 ounce paper cup!!! Yup. But yeah---the late owners sonny boy tried to run for Zurra Guvnor as a demmacrat, but nobody bought into it. Fxxk him. Greedy jxxk. But yeah---that's how much things've gone up. Hope that helps you some. Thankk mee.

Random grocery and sundry items are noticeably higher - cat litter, pet food, deodorant, bleach, junk food. At least 25% more than a few years back. Deodorant used to be around $4-5 and it has doubled.

We went to the coast yesterday to look at a house over there and the diner we looked at had the egg breakfast special at $15. A stack of pancakes was $15. Their diner prices were about two dollars an item higher than ours in Western Maine.
    Luckily, I made sandwiches and brought them with us.

Thread Information