Thread: Re-upholstering furniture?

Re-upholstering furniture?

Some years ago a high end furniture store was going out of business and I picked up a very nice leather Flexsteel couch that was a floor model and steeply discounted. It a perfect size for my smaller house, especially compared with the huge overstuffed styles the stores seem to carry. Now, years later, the seat cushions have lost some of their finish and might be sagging a bit, however everything else is fine as best I can tell. I have been wondering about having just the seat cushions reworked and re-upholstered. I suspect leather could be pricey, but I don't think a quality fabric on just the cushions would look out of place with the rest of the leather couch? My brief google lookup seemed to think re-upholstering was be a good choice and quality furniture is hard to find these days.

I'm out of my field of experience here. Any similar experience or advice? It seems like anything involving skilled manual labor is expensive these days.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I guess it depends on the quality of the furniture. If you really like it, it's held up well so far, you're comfortable in it, if the style is still a good fit for your home, then go for the new leather cushions. It might be expensive, but a new leather couch--how much would that be?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have occasionally seen some high end sofas with both leather and fabric. I say if the sofa fits your life and is still comfortable, getting cushions reupholstered could be a good idea. It is hard to find a good quality leather sofa that will last.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I have occasionally seen some high end sofas with both leather and fabric. I say if the sofa fits your life and is still comfortable, getting cushions reupholstered could be a good idea. It is hard to find a good quality leather sofa that will last.
    Thanks. I’ll have to hunt around the internet to see if I can see some examples of the fabric and leather mix. I’d not known they existed.

Can you find replacement foam and cushion covers, that might be cheaper?

Here is a high end example of fabric cushion on leather sofa. https://www.stickley.com/collections...41295578595381

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Here is a high end example of fabric cushion on leather sofa. https://www.stickley.com/collections...41295578595381
    That is cool! I like it.

Me, too. That's kind of what I was imagining. I think leather might be hard to match with new leather (if it matters) and unknown quality. I'll have to look into the fabric option further. Thanks.

I had a short discussion with a local upholstery shop a couple of years ago. They seemed extremely nice, but many of the people working there did not appear to speak English. I hope they don't get get back under Donald.

We looked into reupholstery and had a sofa done (1960s vinyl fabric- change to cloth in 75 then again in 2004- a few slipcovers in between.) Another chair, same age we had the cushion restuffed, but kept the old slipcover. Another chair needs springs and if I change the upholstery too we're talking 3000. Husband- who sits in it all the time- doesn't want to have it done, so it has an Ollies blue slipcover on it. Works Ok and if I straighten the stretchy slipcover it looks decent. It's hard to give of fine quality old furniture.

I purposely bought new sofas this year with slipcovers. I wanted that old world cottage look of softness that slipcovers give. And then, I put quilted covers over the slipcovers!

So I have

1) sofa upholstery in an oyster color
    2) fitted slip covers in an oyster color
    3) Semi-fitted quilted overlay in a cream color

I did not want to wrestle the slip covers off multiple times a year to wash them. The quilted overlays are easy to take off and wash.

Thread Information