Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venmo

Venmo

Who here uses Venmo?

I don’t use it, but it is increasingly in use for things. I might purchase if I had it.

couple years ago I started to sign up for Venmo, but they wanted direct access to my bank account. We have enough direct access vendors, and I didn’t want to add another one, ones I would seldom monitor or use.

so far for purchases like this I’ve been able to use PayPal.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-25-24 at 2:29pm.

I used to use it, but when I switched phones, I couldn’t get the texted security code. I kept my same number. Can’t get through to customer service.

So I just use PayPal, Zelle, Apple Cash, or the Cash app. All depends on what the recipient uses.

When I used to use Venmo, I funded it through my debit card.

When I looked at it last, my credit union wasn't on it and didn't use it. Heck I gave up Paypal and if I want something, cash or card, depending on local or online.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    When I looked at it last, my credit union wasn't on it and didn't use it. Heck I gave up Paypal and if I want something, cash or card, depending on local or online.
    I think you’re thinking of Zelle. Venmo works with anything, like PayPal. In fact, they’re competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I think you’re thinking of Zelle. Venmo works with anything, like PayPal. In fact, they’re competitors.
    For me, the difference is Paypal purchases are charged to my Credit Card. There is protection there.

We do debit card transaction only when in Europe.

Also there was a silly business where Venmo broadcast purchases to people, such as “Iris just bought $25 in plants” or some such stupidity.

I try to avoid using Zelle/Paypal/Venmo/...

Mostly because I hate having a zillion apps, accounts, passwords, and links between my financial things.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    For me, the difference is Paypal purchases are charged to my Credit Card. There is protection there.

We do debit card transaction only when in Europe.

Also there was a silly business where Venmo broadcast purchases to people, such as “Iris just bought $25 in plants” or some such stupidity.
    The Venmo public thing was if you had your activity set to public. Some people used it as a form of social media. Weird.

I use Venmo. I don't carry much cash and I find that for things like the farmer's market it comes in handy. I also Venmo my daughter money, but I PayPal my son money. People have preferences and I don't much care which I use.

One thing I don't get about Venmo users--you can choose "public" or "private" for your transactions, and I'd love to know why in God's name I'd want other people to know that I gave my daughter $180 for my share of the camper loan. Nor do I care if my friends buy their friends pizza. Isn't it bad enough that our lives are documented on social media? Now our every petty cash purchase has to be public?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don't use Venmo. I do have a personal Paypal account but I can't recall using it during the last several years.

Before my wife retired she considered Venmo for use among all the young teachers (the ones who didn't know how to write a check or tell time on an analog clock) who all used it to collect money for gifts, etc., although she never did.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't use Venmo. I do have a personal Paypal account but I can't recall using it during the last several years.

Before my wife retired she considered Venmo for use among all the young teachers (the ones who didn't know how to write a check or tell time on an analog clock) who all used it to collect money for gifts, etc., although she never did.

I just used Paypal this week to send money to a Canadian lily bulb grower.

It can useful to send Paypal payments for things I want to buy on Facebook Marketplace when the seller does not accept credit cards. I will send a Paypal payment to hold the item, and if the deal goes bad I am out that money I suppose but I never risk much money in these deals.

Thread Information