Thread: Ray W. Allen

Ray W. Allen

https://www.beartrapcrematory.com/obituaries/ray-allen

I'm posting this obituary about a town icon that died this week. I didn't even know him very well but many, many people in the Islands knew him, as well as his father, and his great-grandfather, and his son... etc etc. Let's just say Ethan Allen wasn't the only Allen in Vermont.

I have no reason to believe anyone reading this will care, but this man was exemplary in many ways as you will see in the obituary. By the time we moved up here, we only knew him as an old man who owned a family business that we frequented often to buy apples and Thanksgiving pies. Also, he had a donkey that the grandkids loved.

I'm touched by this obituary because a) he was really an awesome human being and b) because there are so many like him across the small towns in America... people you never hear of. I'm posting Ray's obituary to honor them as well.

I'm a huge fan of Wendell Berry, another farmer, who talks about how we've lost our sense of place in America. We've lost the threads that tie us to our communities, and we've lost the meaning that being a strong part of a community, however small, can bring.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Nice tribute. People like him make our communities thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Nice tribute. People like him make our communities thrive.
    Indeed they do.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wonderful! I love what they had planned for his celebration of life - very fitting.

There will be a Celebration of Life at Allenholm Farm on Saturday, November 16th at 1pm for all to join. Apple pie and light refreshments will be served.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information