Thread: Endorsements

Endorsements

So I read the LA Times will not be endorsing a candidate. Jennifer Rubin at the Washington Post demanded that the Times editorial staff immediately resign as a matter of principle. Then the Washington Post announced they also would not be making an endorsement. I have to admit I smiled when I heard that.

Then I read that reliably far left magazine, the Nation endorsed Harris. They also published a piece collectively written by their interns denouncing the endorsement. They took issue with her position on Gaza.

I never much cared about newspaper endorsements, but I understand there have been many angry cancellations of subscriptions. Some people have even cancelled their Amazon Prime membership.

I certainly never cared about the opinions of interns. I always viewed their role as to learn rather than instruct.

That is surprising that those two newspapers are not endorsing the person who’s running against pure evil.

When the librarians at Amy Coney Barrett’s University collectively wrote to challenge her nomination, were you impressed? Yeah, me neither.

From what I’m reading, the theory could be that the papers’ leaderships are concerned they could be targeted if Orange Man wins. All his bluster about targeting the enemy within and such.

Potentially relevant:

(Sorry for the overlong link, may get you past any paywall)

https://geneweingarten.substack.com/...dRedirect=true

Bae, that was very interesting.

Because of the Post not endorsing Harris, people on Threads (Meta’s answer to Twitter/X) are talking about ditching their Kindles and which eBooks platform to go to.

Woodward and Bernstein also seem to have a dog in this race:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...g-endorsement/

I have Bob Woodward’s new book War. I’m a few chapters in.

I cancelled my WaPo subscription yesterday when I read about the non-endorsement and the bullcrap line that Bezos wants to "return to the paper's roots of not endorsing political candidates". I'm fine with a paper not endorsing candidates for journalistic objectivity, but not for capitalistic opportunity.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information