Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Daily talking points

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    To be fair ldahl doesn’t actually defend him. He just states that he believes that NO MATTER WHAT our constitutional form of government will survive just fine regardless of who is president. It’s an absurd belief but he’s stuck with it as one of his core beliefs for as long as he’s been posting here.
    You’re right. I cling to the absurd belief that we are not in fact one vote away from an American Reich. We survived Lincoln suspending habeas corpus. We survived Wilson cracking down on free speech to an extent beyond the dreams of the Disinformation Governance Board. We survived FDR trying to pack the SCOTUS when it stood in the way of some of his more egregious power grabs. We even survived him putting people into camps the way Rachel Maddow claims to fear. We can survive a pair of twits like Trump and Harris.

Democrats have been calling Republicans fascists almost as long as there have been fascists. I, like many others, have discounted that accusation based on decades of wolf-crying.

If America falls, it won’t be to some braying buffoon. It will be chipped away bit by bit by compassionate authoritarians who believe they know our interests better than we do. Who believe they must protect us from disinformation and dangerous ideas. Who feel it their duty to enforce their concepts of “equity” on the unenlightened masses.

I’d be curious if someone has studied the differences between the German constitution 100ish years ago and the American constitution as it stands today. What weaknesses in the German one allowed hitler to do his thing and what protections does ours have to prevent trump from doing the same thing? Especially considering the recent rewriting of it to make the president a king. We all know that given the chance trump will simply say ‘as an official act as commander in chief I order the military to attack the following enemies…’

I am willing to take his former Chief of Staff's opinion on him as fact:
    Who Is John Kelly, the General Calling Trump a Hitler-Praising Fascist? (msn.com)

but that's because I trust the Marines.

See, here's why some of us compare him to Hitler:

'Is that a threat?' Trump stuns observers with comment about Harris voter 'getting hurt' - Raw Story

or this:

Trump suggests a protester may get 'the hell knocked out of her' by her parents | KTVU FOX 2

not to mention as a woman, I find this kind of violence against women both familiar and sad.

I’d be curious if someone has studied the differences between the German constitution 100ish years ago and the American constitution as it stands today. What weaknesses in the German one allowed hitler to do his thing and what protections does ours have to prevent trump from doing the same thing? Especially considering the recent rewriting of it to make the president a king. We all know that given the chance trump will simply say ‘as an official act as commander in chief I order the military to attack the following enemies…’
    If Trump is elected, and say six months from now, the 29th Infantry Division hasn’t been deployed to crush opposition and send dissidents to internment camps, would you be willing to admit my absurd belief was correct?

And here is attempting to insult someone who is gay by giving them a female-gendered first name:

Trump refers to CNN's Anderson Cooper by a woman's first name | AP News

I don't understand people who don't see this guy a a massive threat to human decency.

Jp!, you might find this interesting reading:

March 1933 German federal election - Wikipedia

seems like there is a playbook there for a certain demagogue.

Thread Information